If your child is entering Kindergarten this year and you’refeeling apprehensive about all the transitions for your whole family, here’s the solution you didn’t even know you wanted:
Spirit Fingers: Kindergarten
Be on top of logistics, emotional changes, tensions, and increased skills through the entire year.
Spirit Fingers: Kindergarten is a 14-month-long “ride-along” class-slash-discussion group for parents of kids going into Kindergarten this summer, fall, or after the new year (for you Aussies with January/February starts). Runs April 30, 2013 through June 30, 2014.
Why did I call it "Spirit Fingers"? Because being a kindergarten parent feels a lot like trying to keep your fingers moving so no one will be able to tell if you're getting all the footwork correctly. For a video definition of "spirit fingers" click here (safe for work, but turn down your speakers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTSkvAabm0k
The First Month
It starts April 30, and we’ll spend the first 4 weeks working on the big categories of change you’ll see in Kindergarten so you can be prepared and know what to watch out for. This month will be structured, with “thinking points” every half-week to guide questions and conversations, and help you set up your systems and plans for processing it all.
- your expectations and emotions around Kindergarten, school, academics, and your child’s growth
- how routines will change and how to anticipate changes and set up systems
- your child’s anticipated transitions, tensions, behaviors, and increasing competencies
- externals, including teachers, the school system, testing, other kids, other parents, and ways of participating/belonging
The Next Phase
Then we’ll take it easier for a month or two until kids start actually going to school, at which point we’ll be talking about one theme every few weeks and also talking about whatever comes up for the participants.
- fall being heavy on routines and diagnosing changing competencies in the kids,
- winter being about holidays and academics, and
- spring being about friendships and navigating relationships and other people’s kids.
All run through a private secret group on Facebook, so you can participate from any time zone or location, with no big deal if you go on vacation or get busy for a few days, and a strong likelihood that there will be someone on if you need feedback or validation at random times.
Big Four benefits of taking Spirit Fingers: Kindergarten:
- Guidance in sorting out what all the logistical and emotional threads are, so you can help keep track of them
- Help in knowing what’s just part of the normal process and what indicates something you should stay on top of
- Support in working through it all with others in the same boat
- Safety to vent or gloat in a place where everyone understands and will keep things in proportion
It runs 14 months, from April 30, 2013 through the end of June, 2014.
Run through a private, secret group on Facebook that only those of us in the group can see and know exist. What happens in the Spirit Fingers group stays in the Spirit Fingers group.
$229 for the entire 14 months.
Simple, easy, smart.
Who Should Take It
You should take Spirit Fingers: Kindergarten if you have a child entering Kindergarten (public or private) between now and spring 2014, and
you're either worried/concerned about how it will go, or
you want to be prepared and want some like-minded people to talk about it with as it happens.
If your child did Kindergarten last year and you feel like it totally got away from you, you might consider taking it to get a logistical and supportive "do-over."
If you're considering redshirting (holding your child back a year to enter K), email me and we'll talk about whether you should hedge by taking it: askmoxie at gmail dot com
Who Should Not Take It
You should not take Spirit Fingers: Kindergarten if you
- are homeschooling, because a big part of the course is going to be about dealing with things that are part of schools--teachers, the school policies, other kids, other parents.
- have kids going into 3s or 4s in preschool. Enjoy it now, and join this course next year.
- hate other parents and don't want to discuss anything with anyone.
Let's Do It
Click the button to sign up. If the email address I should communicate with you through is NOT your Paypal address, be sure to add a note to me so I can email you with details to get into the group. (And if the name on the Paypal account is different from yours, tell me what your name is in the notes.)
I’m excited for this class and wish I’d thought of doing it when my kids were in K! Please pass it along to anyone you know who might need it. If you have any questions, email me at askmoxie at gmail dot com to ask.