I was going to make you all a list of “100 Things To Do While Snowed In With The Same Kids You’ve Been Inside With For Two Weeks,” but look, I’m the mother who taught her kids how to play “I Never”* a couple weeks ago, so I’m not the one to put in charge of activities.
HOWEVER, I can do what I do whenever there’s a crisis of any sort: Make a playlist. Here’s the Polar Vortex Playlist For Endless Dance Party With Your Children.
What’s special about this playlist? It’s all YOUR music instead of your kids’ music. Or, rather, MY music and I think you’re probably sort of close to my age** so you’ll remember these songs. Remember, we’re nourishing ourselves this year, so no forcing ourselves to listen to kids’ music today and no Caillou.
Here it is in a Spotify playlist.
Here it is in a YouTube playlist.
1. These songs are for dancing. Don’t pay attention to the lyrics unless you want to have a lot of teachable moments with your kids.
2. I included two songs specifically about butts because kids like butts.
3. If you’ve forgotten how to dance to the hip-hop songs, watch the E.U. video. If you’ve forgotten how to dance to the new wave songs, watch the Dead Or Alive video.
4. Remember when I saw Digital Underground live in Vegas two years ago? That was great.
Polar Vortex Playlist:
- “Let Me Clear My Throat” — DJ Kool
- “Push It” — Salt n Pepa
- “Blister In the Sun” — Violent Femmes
- “Bizarre Love Triangle” — New Order
- “The Glamorous Life” — Sheila E
- “Insane In The Membrane” — Cypress Hill
- “Rumpshaker” — Wreckx-N-Effect
- “Da Butt” — E.U.
- “Just Can’t Get Enough” — Depeche Mode
- “You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)” — Dead Or Alive
- “The Humpty Dance” — Digital Underground
- “Jump Around” — House of Pain
- “Burning Down The House” — Talking Heads
- “Chains of Love” — Erasure
- “O.P.P.” — Naughty By Nature
- “It Takes Two” — Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock
While you’re listening, check out this piece in which I was quoted about my New Year’s resolutions as a single mom, and this piece I just posted on Huffington Post: “6 Things About The Men You’ll Date After Your Divorce.”
* With seltzer, not alcohol. I’m not THAT debauched. Also, you haven’t lived ’til you’ve played “I Never” with an 8-year-old. “I never….went to school in my pajamas! Hahahahahahaha!”